SVM RNO Route Network Optimizer
Route simulator the fastest and most dynamic solution for Liner companies.
Container shipping industry is a business of shipping cargo from one location to another. To facilitate this many carriers deploy multiple services that allows cargo to be shipped either direct or indirect (transshipment) to destination. Every route is an opportunity to sell cargo for Liner companies. Most of carriers publish their route catalogue on their e-Commerce website where customers can view routes and book cargo. To create network of routes with multiple transshipment there is huge amount of manual work required that takes large amount of man days and invariably wrong routes are published. While creating these routes carriers have to consider cost and lowest transit times. This makes task even more challenging.
Other area where Liner companies suffer is service analysis. Whenever a new service is added into the route network many possible new routes may be created. Today commercial feasibility study of new services in liner companies is done on average freight rates to main ports. Granularity of analysis is missing simply because details routes possible with new services are not generated before doing the study. This is simply because there is no tool that allows fast generation analysis and simulation.
Solverminds has built a tool that addresses above challenges. The system is scalable, fast and can cater to any size of liner company. For details read the features below.
Every liner shipping company publishes set route catalogues showing the location pairs served by them
Example: Route between Shanghai to US Chicago
- Shanghai (Load Port on Ship)
- Spain Valencia (Transshipment Port to another Ship)
- New York (Discharge Port)
- US Chicago (Haulage) See Map below.
- All Liner companies have complex services spanning many ports/inland locations all over the world. The count of possible route catalogues can be in hundreds of thousands.
- To create route catalogues serving locations pairs is an arduous task and largely requires manual work/logic.
- In liner industry it is not uncommon to start services, stop services, add new ports in services or delete ports in services. Thus there is a continuous need to create/update new route catalogues.
- Having accurate route catalogue is extremely important for maintaining profitability of any liner company. In following slides we will highlight the complexity of the problem.
- In Graphical view below shows the complexity of a mid size liner company.
- In Today a logical routes are created manually from the complex mesh of route network. It is evident how much manual effort required.
- If Liner company has to add/delete new services to the network it takes huge amount of manual effort to create new routes.
- In Today a logical routes are created manually from the complex mesh of route network. It is evident how much manual effort is required.
- Example below shows how multiple routes catalogues can be created at run time based on transit time and or cost.
- Solverminds is using innovative solutions opposed to traditional RDBMS solution approach.
- Solution is fast, flexible and agile.
- Technology is scalable and can handle complications of worlds largest carriers.
Users can simulate new services or delete existing services and study the impact on the route network. By getting new route network users can simulate a new cargo matrix with correct routes. This further may help to get accurate P&L simulation involving business decision.
Where ports are added or deleted or new services are added or removed there this technology can help create new route catalogue without manual intervention.
If users define business rules then system can generate routes based on the business rules.
Route Data for ERP systems
This system can supply routes to several modules such as rate request, corporate rate agreements, tender rates, service agreements and booking system.
- Huge savings on number of resources required to maintain route catalogue.
- Data growth does not hamper the search criteria.
- Accuracy of routes is maintained at all times which is current challenge across the industry.
- Route network analysis can be done fast for service network revamp.
- Brings speed in decision making.
- Overall accelerate decision to profitability.